Tuesday, November 08, 2005

From the Local Newspaper

After the school administration interviewed her, the eager teaching prospect said: "Let me see if I have this right…"You want me to go into that room with all those kids and fill them with a love for learning. I'm supposed to instill a sense of pride in their ethnicity, modify their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse and even censor their T-shirt messages and dress habits. You want me to wage a war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, check backpacks for weapons of mass destruction and raise their self-esteem."You want me to teach them patriotism, citizenship, sportsmanship, fair play and how to register to vote, balance checkbooks and apply for jobs. I'm to check their heads for lice, maintain a safe environment, recognize signs of anti-social behavior, make sure all students, even those who don't attend school regularly or complete any assignments, pass mandatory exams. Plus, I'm to make sure that all students with handicaps get equal educations regardless of the extent of their mental or physical handicaps."And I'm to communicate regularly with parents by letter, newsletter and report cards. All of this I'm to do with just a piece of chalk, a computer, a few books, a bulletin board, a big smile and on a starting salary that's not as large as the public sector for the education I have. You want me to do all this and yet you expect me not to pray?"

4 Comments:

Blogger Alexey said...

Linux vs Windows? Maybe a lesson here for Java vs Whatever
This blog entry by Marc Wagner was a slap to the forehead. We're all tired of the "Windows vs ... By deciding to favor 'simplicity of use' over 'simplicity of design' Microsoft has leveraged the low cost of commodity hardware to produce cost-competitive software which is complex in design but easy to use .
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to road construction of pa on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like road construction of pa!

9:23 PM

 
Blogger Badger said...

Frantz Fanon and France's Wretched of the Earth
I'm remembering the brother of a friend of mine from the Maghreb - northern Africa .
Howdy, I'm new around here. Like your Blog. If you're interested, go see my home businesses site about starting a business and working from home. It's still pretty rough but I finally know what I want it to be. Anyway, you may still find something of interest.

9:25 PM

 
Blogger eek said...

She can pray all she wants. No one is asking her to stop praying. She just can't make her students pray.

I don't get some people's need to make sure everyone sees/hears them pray anyway...isn't making a big deal out of worship/prayer one of those things that was considered a no-no in the bible?

Prayer is between her and her god...no one else needs to be involved. If she needs an audience, she isn't doing it right.

3:52 PM

 
Blogger Virgo79 said...

I get what your saying here, I'm working to complete my teaching degree and the overwelming amount of tasks, social and educational that fall to teachers to face is daunting.

8:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home